The vision of the service model was developed in three broad stages.
In the first, I developed the theoretical foundation of the service.
- Through research into learning theories, I developed lists of learner needs and skills.
- I then built an opportunity map by developing service components for learner needs in each of three learner channels: free-range, online, and offline.
- I drafted a service ecology to illustrate groups that would have a stake in the effects of the service.
In the second stage, I developed the service vision.
- I wrote personas, which embody target users.
- I described components from the opportunity map in the service vision.
In the last stage, I tested the ideas.
- I wrote scenarios to show how the service vision addresses the needs of the personas.
- I developed three experience prototypes, one for each of the main functions of the mobile device, and informally tested them with users in an academic setting.